Thursday, May 31, 2012

Grocery market vs. Farmers Market

Hello readers,
I have some money saving tips involving the grocer's vs farmer's markets. If you are able to get to your local farmer's markets then by all means do. Not only are you helping to support local farms but the produce is ORGANIC there is no middle man and most oft times it is cheaper than the grocery store. I know that tomatoes tend to be a bit pricey anywhere but I have found the best if I cannot get them from my garden is ones grown at the farmer's market. I buy mine from the Amish, they also have canners (tomatoes with blemishes that we use to can) I suggest you buy them. Most times you can get a flat of canners for less than 15 bucks. That pretty cheap. You have to take into consideration that they generally do not use any pesticide no seven dust and they pick those big icky tomato bugs off the plants by hand.. one by one.. they also put time in and it takes a lot to have a huge garden with an abundance of produce. If you have to shop at a grocery market please use coupon's or price match any wal-mart will do it. Or Trader Joe's always has really good produce. If you are in the Midwest you have Hy-Vee's and they allow farmers in the area to sell their excess produce in there. I encourage you to buy fresh, local and help a farmer out.
I also want to take a moment and say grow a small garden. It is cheap and well worth it. If you do not have time to weed a garden mulch it or use the grow paper. It keeps weeds out.
Until next time.... Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment